- If you need help to pay for your prescription medications, you may be eligible for patient assistance programs. The following organizations provide programs that directly reduce the cost of prescription drugs or can assist you in finding programs for which you are eligible.
American Liver Foundation
The American Liver Foundation’s Financial Assistance Resource Support Guide is available for more information. The American Liver Foundation’s Free Drug Discount Card can be used for prescription medications, over-the-counter medications and medical supplies. The card is available with no charge.
Pharmaceutical Patient Assistance Program
Salix Pharmaceuticals, makers of rifaximin (Xifaxan®), has a program that offers a variety of resources to help you with cost and insurance support regardless of whether or not you have prescription coverage. Find out about the Xifaxan 550 mg Access Helpline, Instant Savings Card, and Patient Assistance Program. Contact them at 1-866-282-6563 or visit them on the Web at http://www.xifaxan550.com.
To apply for drug assistance programs you will likely be asked for the following information, so it’s helpful to have it handy before contacting these organizations:
- State of residence and zip code
- Estimated gross annual household income
- Number of people living in the household
- Brand name of the prescription medicines you have been prescribed
- Type of health insurance and/or prescription coverage, if any
- Name and contact information of your doctor who prescribed the medication
All information discussed with people staffing patient assistance help lines is strictly confidential.
NeedyMeds is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to help people who cannot afford medicine or health care costs.
NeedyMeds offers resources that are helpful to uninsured and underinsured patients:
- Patient assistance program database for patients to search for medications they are taking or need:
- MRI/CAT scan discount program
- Medication bill mediation:
P.O. Box 219
Gloucester, MA 01931
Partnership for Prescription Assistance
The Partnership for Prescription Assistance helps qualifying patients without prescription drug coverage to access the medicines they need.
Phone: 1-888-477-2669 Website
State Pharmaceutical Assistance Programs
Many states offer subsidies to provide pharmaceutical coverage or a discount program for prescriptions to eligible individuals.
- RxAssist offers a comprehensive database of patient assistance programs, as well as news and practical tools. Visit them on the Web at http://rxassist.org
- RxOutreach is a mail order pharmacy for people with little to no health insurance coverage. Visit them on the Web at http://www.rxoutreach.org
- Patient Access Network Foundation is a non-profit organization that provides assistance to under-insured people for their out-of-pocket expenses for life-saving medications. Visit them on the Web at www.panfoundation.org
- Chronic Disease Fund is a non-profit charitable organization that helps people with chronic disease, cancer and other life-altering conditions obtain the life-savings medications they need. Visit them on the Web at http://www.cdfund.org/
- HealthWell Foundation is a non-profit organization that educes financial barriers to care for underinsured patients with chronic or life-threatening diseases. Visit them on the Web at http://www.healthwellfoundation.org